This week, the Governor’s Cup awards and Best in Class award winners for the NJ Wine Competition were announced by the Garden State Wine Growers Association and Governor Murphy. All of our local wineries have been working diligently this year to provide wine and safe events throughout COVID19 and these awards are a showcase of that hard work. Be sure to check out these award-winning wineries and all they have to offer this fall!
Best in Show
- Sharrott Winery in Hammonton won the Governor’s Cup for Best Red Wine for the 95 score it received for its 2018 Merlot. The 95 score was the highest in the competition and earned Sharrott Winery the Best in Show honors.
Governor’s Cup & Best in Class Winners
- William Heritage Winery in Mullica Hill won the Governor’s Cup for Best Dessert wine with their 2017 Late Harvest Semillon with a 92 score. They also won Best Sparking wine.
- Bellview Winery in Landisville was the other multiple category winner taking home Best Red Hybrid with their 2018 Estate Bottled Chambourcin and the Best White Hybrid for the 2019 Traminette.
- Auburn Road Vineyards in Pilesgrove won Best Fortified Wine with their Vintage Ruby Fortified Wine, Chambourcin.
- Cape May Winery won Best Fruit Wine with their Isaac Smith 2019 Apple Wine.
Governor’s Cup Winners
Governor’s Cup for Best Red Vinifera: 95 • Sharrott Winery (NJ) 2018 Merlot, Hammonton, Outer Coastal Plain *Best in Show*
Governor’s Cup for Best White Vinifera: 93 • Beneduce Vineyards (NJ) 2019 Tuxedo, Pittstown, Hunterdon County
Governor’s Cup for Best Dessert Wine: 92 • William Heritage (NJ) 2017 Late Harvest, Semillon, Mullica Hill, Outer Coastal Plain 17% reserved sugar
Best in Class Winners
Fortified Wine: 93 • Auburn Road Vineyard Vintage Ruby Fortified Wine, Chambourcin, Pilesgrove, Outer Coastal Plain 8% reserved sugar
Fruit Wine: 88 • Isaac Smith 2019 Apple Wine, Cape May Winery, Cape May
Red Wine: 95 • Sharrott Winery 2018 Merlot, Hammonton, Outer Coastal Plain
Best Hybrid Red: 90 • Bellview Winery 2018 Estate Bottled Chambourcin, Landisville, Outer Coastal Plain
Best Rosé Wine: 90 • Working Dog Winery 2019 Equinox Estate Bottled Rosé, East Windsor, Mercer County
Best Sparkling Wine: 93 • William Heritage 2017 Blanc De Blancs, Mullica Hill, Outer Coastal Plain
Best Dessert Wine: 92 • William Heritage 2017 Late Harvest, Semillon, Mullica Hill, Outer Coastal Plain 17% reserved sugar
Best Vinifera White Wine: 93 • Beneduce Vineyards 2019 Tuxedo, Pittstown, Hunterdon County
Best Hybrid White Wine: 89 • Bellview Winery 2019 Estate Bottled, Traminette, Landisville, Outer Coastal Plain
Click here to see the full press release from the Garden State Wine Growers Association.