Coming to the Camden Waterfront on June 25, 2015
With over a dozen magnificent domestic and international ships planning to attend Tall Ships® Philadelphia – Camden, visitors can catch a glimpse, step aboard and even set sail on some of the most meticulously crafted ships of yore. Several rare and notable ships making an appearance include:
– L’Hermione – A French replica of the 12-pound, 145’ long, Concorde class frigate of the French Navy, famous for carrying General Lafayette to the United States in 1780 allowing him to rejoin the Americans during the American Revolutionary War.
– Barque Eagle – Rarely seen at festivals, this three-masted USA Coast Guard Tall Ship boasts 21,350 square feet of sail, 295’ length, is the only operational sailing vessel in the U.S. maritime services and is just one of five operational training barques in the world.
– Cisne Branco – Hailing from Rio de Janeiro, The “White Swan” is an awe-inspiring, 243’ long, full-rigged Tall Ship serving the Brazilian Navy as a training vessel and international representative.
– Gazela – Philadelphia’s official Tall Ship was built in 1901 in the shipyard of J. M. Mendes in Setubal, Portugal to fish the Grand Banks off Newfoundland. It is 177’ long and 94’ high from deck.
– Picton Castle – A 179’ long, three-masted Tall Ship based in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada best known for sail training voyages around the world.
|The unique two-sided waterfront affords increased accessibility for visitors from both sides of the river and creates the perfect venue for a myriad of festival attractions and of course, Tall Ships. The event is sponsored by a collaboration of four Delaware waterfront organizations: the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation, Coopers Ferry Partnership, Adventure Aquarium and Independence Seaport Museum. An abundance of attractions will accompany the Tall Ships such as historical reenactments, live music, dance, youth sail training, a craft beer garden and the regions finest fare.Tickets on sale and Available at www.TallShipsPhiladelphia.com or 877-4FLY-TIX.|